Saturday 16 July 2011

Embracing the One-Piece, Beyond the Pool

THE Australian native Rose Byrne has been acting since she was 13 years old. A regular on the television drama “Damages,” which is now on DirecTV’s Audience Network and which had its fourth-season premiere on July 13, Ms. Byrne is having a banner summer at the box office. She’s a cast member in the comedy “Bridesmaids” and “X-Men: First Class.” Ms. Byrne turns 32 on July 24. BEE-SHYUAN CHANG
MAGICAL Rose Byrne, the actress, in a jumpsuit she says unleashes her "inner Harry Potter."
THURSDAY, JULY 7
It’s 90 degrees out and only 10 a.m. I made the mistake of going for a jog. I was in Nike running shorts and sneakers, and a H&M long-sleeve stripey top. I’m attempting to get a leg tan before a trip to Palm Springs. A day of chores awaits, so I put on my Elie Tahari black sandals with a tiny wedge, a bottle-green miniskirt with black polka dots by Broadway & Broome and a green silk short-sleeve vintage blouse. I had plans with two girlfriends for supper at Goat Town in the East Village, but by then I was a feral mess. I showered (again) and changed into an H&M navy jumpsuit and Rag & Bone chunky wooden sandals. Now I have leg length, but I can still walk. Everybody’s happy!
FRIDAY, JULY 8
I’m a guest judge on “Project Runway” today. I put on a Zara jumpsuit (it’s navy with small white stars scattered all over it), my Maje taupe blazer and the Elie Tahari sandals. I look slightly like I am hosting a wizard convention. Hair, makeup and hours later, I am ready. Michael Kors bequeathed me with a gorgeous red sheath for the taping. It is to the knee, skintight with cap sleeves and a twist detail at the front, and paired with some killer black pumps. I tottered down to the set. I was seated next to the gorgeous Rachel Roy. She has a perfect profile, and I kept getting distracted by it. The judging was fascinating. I was in awe at the slow dissection that took place. When the designers are true to their instincts, the clothes are cohesive. When they are not, it is a car crash. Much like life, really.
SATURDAY, JULY 9
I am delirious. And in my delirium, I chose a very weird outfit for a flight to Palm Springs: vintage denim high-waisted shorts, Marc by Marc Jacobs navy blouse with small printed leaves, Maje blazer again and back to the Rag & Bone sandals. In my mind, I was going for a Jane Birkin meets Chloë Sevigny look. In reality, I look like a camp leader from the ’70s who is having temperature issues. Today, I’m the car crash.
SUNDAY, JULY 10
Follow your instincts, which at the moment is that I am overheating. I arrived in Palm Springs, and it’s the first proper vacation I’ve had in maybe a year and a half. My girlfriends and I lay poolside all day. I was in a Marc by Marc Jacobs one-piece with ruching on the side and navy and dark pink geometric flowers on the front. It’s a bit retro, so I was in-theme with the hotel: classic Palm Springs kitsch. A men’s shirt from John Varvatos served as a cover-up, and The Los Angeles Times Sunday edition for reading. Bliss.
MONDAY, JULY 11
Spent part of the day dressed in a mud wrap. Very tribal. Then my girlfriends and I went poolside. I was in a Zimmermann black-and-white striped bikini. Aussies have great swimwear because we’re big on beach culture. Whenever I go back, I stock up. I wore a Yeojin Bae billowing silk frock over the suit. It’s burnt orange with splashes of other shades. I felt like a bright canvas against the blue-gray desert mountains. I can’t seem to wear black here. Palm Springs is bringing out my colorful side.
TUESDAY, JULY 12
In Los Angeles and back to work. It’s meetings, cars, hotels, bags and petrol. I put on my high-waisted Madewell dark navy jeans, Tucker pink cotton blouse with polka dots and Sigerson Morrison tan wedges. By night, I’m in the mood to have my inner Harry Potter unleashed. I go for the starry Zara jumpsuit again, pointy black Miu Miu heels and Maje taupe blazer. I take my brother for his birthday supper at the Sunset Towers. No one blinks an eye at my jumpsuit. There are far bigger stars in the lobby than the ones on my navy jumpsuit.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 13
First, a conference call with my bosses from “Damages,” then I read a bunch of scripts. I was also trying to pack to move hotels. I’m a terrible multitasker. I can’t do the “texting while talking to someone while reading a trashy magazine” thing. Here comes hair and makeup for a portrait shoot and Leno appearance. We’re going for natural. Nothing too orange, please. For Leno, I change into a Dolce & Gabbana black dress and Aldo black pumps. The dress is to the knee with a corset top. The bodice is tight, but makes you sit up straight, like a lady. After, I grabbed supper with Ellie Kemper, who was in “Bridesmaids,” too, and I put on a black Helmut Lang jumpsuit. I’ve noticed I wear a lot of jumpsuits lately. I used to be a bit intimidated by jumpsuits, like I didn’t get where I was supposed to wear them to. But not anymore, not since I hit my early 30s.

No comments:

Post a Comment